Sunday, April 23, 2017

Color Challenge Week #3

I am LOVING this color challenge idea! When I first saw this week's colors I was feeling a little nauseous. I HATE orange and turquoise as a color combination, so I set out to find a way to soften the contrast. I started to make more of a sunset to sea effect with sponging background papers and I ended up loving this effect and color combos that came out of it. Adding a LOT of white helped to crisp up the look and I ended up loving all 3 cards I made for this challenge. - Oh! and I even won the random prize drawing for this week - AGAIN! I got a whole pack of enamel dots!!

Here is week #3's inspiration:



The Stampin' Up! colors identified were:

  • Mint Macaron
  • Calypso Coral
  • Pool Party
  • Wild Wasabi
  • Tangerine Tango

The backgrounds, but I couldn't decide on the dies for the front:

Here is my submission:




Dragonflies

Using one of the backgrounds I created I then applied the Bokeh effect to it. You apply varying sizes and thicknesses of white ink to a background.

**HOW TO: I used dies or punches & cut circles of different sizes in plastic or heavy cardstock or chipboard. Place this template over your background. Then apply white ink to a dauber and add circular motions inside your template. Pick up & move the template around adding varying sizes and thicknesses of ink. You may need to reapply since the white ink tends to dry lighter. You can use a heat gun to speed up the process. Make sure to hold the template really steady because you want crisp lines on your circles.

**TIP:  Make sure your background is completely dry before adding white ink – or you will get color transfer from your dauber onto your white ink pad.

I cut out the frame by hand with a paper trimmer and an Exacto knife. Then I embossed it with the waves folder and popped it off the background with Dimensionals. I cut more Dimensionals really small and added them behind the dragonfly bodies and added a small amount of adhesive to the wing tips that touched the white frame.

I added VersaMark inked sentiment & heat embossed with white embossing powder. I hand trimmed the sentiment banner.

Supplies:

  • Tangerine Tango Ink
  • Lost Lagoon Ink & Cardstock
  • Daffodil Delight Ink
  • Whisper White Ink & Cardstock
  • Detailed Dragonfly Thinlits Dies
  • Chase Your Dreams Stamp Set
  • Waves Embossing Folder
  • Lost Lagoon Glimmer Paper
  • White Embossing Powder
  • Sponges / Daubers
  • Pop Dots / Dimensionals

Shop Stampin' Up! products here!

Balloon



I layered the background created at top onto base card.

Cut out a cloud out of white glimmer paper. A balloon out of Whisper White and adhered it to Lost Lagoon glimmer paper with glue dots (to adhere to the top of glimmer paper) and fussy cut around the balloon for the glittery background.

I cut out the frame by hand with a paper trimmer and an Exacto knife. Then I embossed it with the clouds folder and popped it off the background with Dimensionals.

I wanted to add the sentiment to the frame – but I could not fit the embossing folder partially through as to not emboss over the sentiment – so I decided to stamp it on a separate piece and place it on top of the frame.

I added Dimensionals to the bottom part of the balloon to pop it up and adhesive to the top of the balloon to adhere it to the frame.

Supplies:

  • Tangerine Tango Ink
  • Lost Lagoon Ink & Cardstock
  • Daffodil Delight Ink
  • Whisper White Cardstock
  • Carousel Birthday Stamp Set
  • Up & Away Thinlits Dies
  • Clouds Embossing Folder
  • White and Lost Lagoon Glimmer Paper
  • Sponges
  • Pop Dots / Dimensionals / Glue Dots

Shop Stampin' Up! products here!

Mr. & Mrs.



I used the backgrounds created from applying sponged ink as stated at top. I then added the dies to the portion of the background that would show through the frame.

I hand cut the frame in glimmer paper and popped it up off of the page using Dimensionals.

I added VersaMark inked sentiment & heat embossed with white embossing powder. I then cut out the sentiment with an oval die and added a small scrap of white ribbon with a glue dot to secure to the glimmer paper.

Supplies:

  • Tangerine Tango Ink
  • Lost Lagoon Ink & Cardstock
  • Daffodil Delight Ink
  • Whisper White Cardstock
  • That's the Tag Stamp Set
  • Stylish Stems Framelits Dies
  • Oval Dies
  • White Glimmer Paper
  • White Ribbon
  • White Embossing Powder
  • Sponges
  • Pop Dots / Dimensionals / Glue Dots

Shop Stampin' Up! products here!

Collection:

Here are all the cards for this color challenge that I made.

Here are the group results as well:



If you are interested in playing along – see Shannon's blog: www.creatingforgrace.com

~Enjoy!

*Most products used were Stampin' Up!, but occasionally other sources as well

No comments:

Post a Comment